Detail View: CVPA Alumni (Swain): Studio in the Swain Mansion

resource_ID: 
urc28_15_15_0017
creator_name: 
Swain School of Design
creator_nationality: 
American
creator_notes: 
A series of photographs documenting activities, events, exhibitions and buildings managed and occupied by Swain School of Design School
Title: 
Studio in the Swain Mansion
work_dates_display: 
1937
dates: 
1937
genre: 
photography
format_medium: 
35mm ektachrome slide
subject: 
easels
subject: 
plaster casts
subject: 
studios (work spaces)
Subject_sourceID: 
AAT 300007725
subject: 
classrooms
Subject_sourceID: 
AAT 300004507
subject: 
sculpture (visual work)
Subject_sourceID: 
AAT 300047090
subject_culture: 
American
subject_name: 
Swain School of Design
subject_coverage: 
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Description: 
A empty studio with plaster casts of heads and figures along with drawing /painting easels. Originally the only building occupied by the Swain School. Bequeathed to the school in 1858 by William Swain, New Bedford shipping and oil magnate. Swain Free School opened in this building in 1882, offering classes in English, History, German, French, and Design and Industrial Art. Unfortunately it was completed destroyed by fire on March 13, 1948.
DCMI Type Vocabulary: 
image
cataloger: 
jtrinh
date_of_catalog: 
2014/04/22
Relation: 
http://www.lib.umassd.edu/archives/
Relation: 
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Archives and Special Collections